Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Full text of the opening address of Pope Francis to the crowd in St Peter’s Square 13/3/13

Here’s the full text of the opening address of Pope Francis:
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
Good evening.
As you know, the duty of the conclave was to appoint a bishop of Rome, and it seems to me that my brother cardinals have chosen who is from far away. Here I am.
I would like to thank you for your embrace, also to the Roman Catholic Church and the bishops, thank you very much. And first and foremost, I would like to pray for our bishop emeritus, Benedict XVI
Let us pray together for him so that he is blessed by the Lord…
Let us begin this journey together… this journey for the Roman Catholic Church. It is a journey of friendship, of love, of trust, and faith. Let us pray always for one another. Let us pray for the whole world. Let us have a big brotherhood.
I wish that this journey for the Church, which we will start today… will bear fruits for the evangelizing of this beautiful city.
I would like to offer you my blessing. But I would like to ask a favor first. I would like to pray to the Lord so that the prayer of the people blesses also the new pontiff. Let us pray in silence your prayer for me.

No comments: