Monday, May 6, 2013

Polish and Borussia Dortmund Soccer Star Lewandowski: I am not ashamed of Jesus

Robert Lewandowski the Borussia Dortmund striker who scored four goals against Real Madrid is a staunch Catholic. He is also one of the mainstays of the Polish national soccer team. He is not afraid to speak publicly about his Catholic faith. Indeed, he has also joined the campaign of Polish Catholics called "I'm not ashamed of Jesus", saying, "The world today is going very fast and sometimes we forget our values and what is really important. Faith helps me not only on the field but also off it to try to be a good person and follow a right path for my life. I adhere to this campaign because I am a Catholic and I'm not ashamed of Jesus and have faith in Him. I know that God always looks after me." Another champion of football is certainly Lionel Messi who is not shy to express his Catholic beliefs.

Javier Zanetti, Inter Milan captain and also from Argentina, has just recently had the privilege of meeting the Pope: "It was a thrilling encounter because when he was elected, the first desire I had was to meet him," he said. "I found myself in front of a simple person with a huge heart. He added, as a practicing Catholic: "Faith is so important in the world and we are all neighbors."

Italian Athlete Daniele Greco who won a gold medal in the triple jump at the European Championships in Sweden is another practicing Catholic. "I do not try to improve myself for my glory,which is vain. When he got engaged to Francesca, the ring was a rosary. At that point the two spent a short few days in Medjugorje.

No comments: